Dinner @ Restaurant Duck King, Jaya One, Section 17, Petaling Jaya

>> Jan 24, 2010

I've heard a great deal about Duck King at Jaya One. I've walked past it myself but didn't bring myself to go in.

About a month back, my father wanted to bring me out for dinner. He wanted to bring me to eat some good roast meat. In fact, he wanted to bring me to Duck King.

Duck King

Duck King is located right in the middle of Jaya One, where parking is abundant. The restaurant was filled to the brim when we arrived. Anyway, we were seated after a 5 minutes wait.

As there were only the two of us present, we couldn't sample many of their other dishes. We went for their siew yok, roast duck (siew ngap), a tofu dish and sze-chuan soup.

Note: Don't eat Chinese food when there's only 2 or 3 people.

Sze-Chuan Soup

The soup was tantalizing with that slight tinge of sourness, but I would prefer mine a bit more sourish. I gave mine a good dash of vinegar. However, the soup was very good indeed. It was priced at RM10.80 a bowl.

Roast Duck

Siew Yok

The duck was okay. However, I have to say that the Siew Yok was one of the better ones I've tasted. I prefer my meat lean, and Duck King tend to serve their siew yok with less of that thick layer of fat in between Siew Yok. Even without the fat, the meat had that nice, soft texture when bitten into. Definitely a thumbs up to this dish. The combination of two types of roast meat came up to RM28.80.

Tao Foo

The Tahu/Tao Foo/Tofu is made in their restaurant daily. This dish was quite good. Really enjoyed it. It was priced at RM22.80.

I would most certainly patron this place again. The winner for the night had to be the siew yok. A long time ago, somebody told me that the Chinese pastry with salted egg was very good at this place. I would certainly like to try it the next time I'm here.

Restaurant rating: 8/10
Pricing: About RM50 per person.

Service: 8.5/10
Quality: 8/10

*Ratings are based on ambience, service, value and food quality for the price you're paying. Opinions expressed are solely based on my personal experience

Map to Restaurant Duck King

8-G, Block M, Jaya One,
No. 72-A, Jalan Universiti,
46200 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor D. E,
Malaysia.

Contact:
Telephone number: 03 7957 9819
Fax : 03 7957 9809
Email: ducking@streamyx.com

Opening Hours:
Monday - Saturday: 11am-3pm, 6pm-10.30pm.
Sunday & Public Holidays: 10am-3pm, 6pm-10.30pm.

cr3ap January 24, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I have been here before couple of times too. The foods were ok, but it is quite costly though I prefer to go to Sun Ming at connaught a more famous for its duck and a lot cheaper.

Regards from cr3ap

Tummy Rumble January 25, 2010 at 12:07 AM

@cr3ap: yea, I found the duck just OKAY... haha, but their siew yok is quite lean.. I prefer it this way..

jfook January 25, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Wow, the siew yok looks nice...

KwOnG FeI January 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM

wa 60 ++ for meal for 2...
ur dad treated you so good..
nanged & $miled

KwOnG FeI January 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM

wa 60 ++ for meal for 2...
ur dad treated you so good..
nanged & $miled

KwOnG FeI January 25, 2010 at 8:13 AM

wa 60 ++ for meal for 2...
ur dad treated you so good..
nanged & $miled

Tummy Rumble January 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM

@jfook: :)

@Kwong Fei: including drinks, tax, and service charge, came to more than a hundred... :)

noobie January 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM

hey i went there last week, very good food.

Tummy Rumble January 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM

@noobie: I totally agree with you :)

Nikel Khor January 25, 2010 at 1:20 PM

wohoo...is nice restaurant in town..serve duck..

from Nikel Khor

KwOnG FeI January 26, 2010 at 3:52 AM

walau rm 100+ ..geng
dell clicked~

Anonymous,  January 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Nice post on Duck King. I like duck

FooDcrazEE January 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM

their duck is mediocre but siew yoke is nom nom. .pricey though

Tummy Rumble January 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM

@foodcrazee: yea, thats what I just said.. Good to know you have the same taste bud :)

motivasi January 27, 2010 at 6:26 PM

wow duck, ilike fried duck with yellow ginger

Tummy Rumble January 27, 2010 at 6:43 PM

@motivasi: any good place to have that dish?

motivasi January 27, 2010 at 7:17 PM

usually i buy it at lil restaurant slose to my house. its at klaten indonesia

motivasi January 27, 2010 at 7:17 PM

usually i buy it at lil restaurant slose to my house. its at klaten indonesia

Tummy Rumble January 27, 2010 at 7:25 PM

thats out of the question for me then... hahahha... thanks for the info though :)

Anonymous,  October 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I was cheated by Duck King Jaya1 last week. They served us a cold and wrinkled-skin "Peking Duck". The noodle came first with very little duck meat. After some 15 min I felt something amiss and asked what happened to the skin? The captain hesitantly told me they are warming it? "What? you ve to warm a "Peking Duck" skin after serving the meat first?" Her reply was "sorry, I meant the flour wrap" 5 min later came the cold skin with a dish of warm flour wrap! DO NOT PATRONIZE DUCK KING. They gave me a normally roasted duck as Peking Duck n charged me RM80+. She promised us too the prawns were live and fresh, but no they re stale and flat taste. Curse n shit them!!!! my bill was about RM480 incl of a miserable bamboo fish.

Tummy Rumble October 31, 2010 at 1:27 PM

@Anonymous: sorry to hear about your bad experience bro.. Might have been a bad day for them, or it could be the standard has seriously dropped.. I actually found it quite reasonable but its been some time since I was there..

fase cuatro November 27, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Never eat in tis restaurant! I specifically ordered beforehand that morning & was charged a "Peking Duck" but was given a cold roasted duck skin, CURLY & SOFT not a single piece crispy. Damn! Meat so little lost in a huge plate of noodle, SERVED FIRST! I've to chase for the skin & the captain's reply was "wasn't WARM enough YET!" Since when on earth Peking Duck was served this way! Your guess is right, kena con!!! We asked if the prawns were fresh, the reply was guaranteed but the servings came in steamed stale & tasteless. The miserable bamboo fish was horrific; we've guests therefore shy away from making a scene. For the rest of the food your guess is as good as mine. Serve them right if they may close down sooner, as there seemed to have more "docs than patients" that weekend night and the previous disappointed visits some months back. Duck King is not like when they're new I recommended to friends and my usual "Tong sing pan". They don't deserve to be forgiven, not a chance. I paid nearly RM600 for that dinner (mind you no abalone nor shark's fins, just normal dishes)and the free roasted duck for the next visit shall expire 15DEC10. Feel like taking that free duck and stuff into the boss asshole. Whole bunch of hopeless con artists, shame to the food industry; help them close earlier.

Tummy Rumble November 27, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Ouch!! Thanks for the heads up.. looks like I won't be going there anytime soon.. Food quality seem to have dropped... Such a shame..

Anonymous,  December 9, 2011 at 11:53 AM

RM100+ is nothing -.- thats like only $33+, no big deal.