The All Famous Chili Pan Mee @ Restaurant Kin Kin (建記辣椒板麵), Pandan Indah.

>> Feb 12, 2010

I've heard so much about Kin Kin Chili Pan Mee. However, I've been delaying my trip to this place for quite some time now (due to the distance). Restoran Kin Kin currently has 2 branches; the main branch is situated off Jalan Tar at Jalan Dewan Sultan Sulaian 1 whereas their 2nd branch is located in Pandan Indah.

The owner of Restoran Kin Kin, Mr Tan, claims to be the first person selling pan mee in Kuala Lumpur. The key word there is 'claim'.

Anyway, as Zhi Ven wanted to pick Chloe up from IMU, we had no choice to go to the Pandan Indah branch, which was run by foreigners. Zhi Ven assured me that the taste was as good as their main branch (I shall judge for myself one day). He still vows that Kin Kin is the best pan mee place in town. I have yet to agree.

Restoran Kin Kin

The noodles and ingredients at this branch is pre-made. Everything is laden out in nice big containers. I guess the boss doesn't want to let slip of his 'secret recipe'. The job of the workers were to dish the specific amount of ingredients into each bowl after cooking the noodles. Nevertheless, I shall try not to be bias.

Chilli knock you off the Richter Scale.

Supposedly, what sets Kin Kin apart from the other chilli pan mee places is their chilli paste. However, from what I've tasted at a pan mee place in Taipan (USJ), I guess they did not differ much. The chilli is made by frying dried chilli in oil to bring out that slight burnt taste.

Kin Kin's Famous Dried Pan Mee

The 'kon loh' pan mee comes with mixed meat (pork), some lard fritter (chu yao char), some dried 'ikan bilis' and a poached egg. The chilli paste is for diners to add 'at their own risk'. I would advise diners not to be too adventurous with this. I love spicy food, but 1 heaping teaspoon of that stuff almost left me in tears. The noodles also came with a separate bowl of soup.

The correct method of indulging in this bowl of noodles is to actually mix everything up (including the runny egg yolk). The purpose of the egg yolk is to give that nice, smooth texture to the noodles.

As the portion wasn't exactly big, the 3 guys went for 2 bowls each. My first bowl of noodles came with a very solid egg yolk. That's what happens when the people cooking knows less about cooking when the people eating the food. Thankfully my 2nd bowl came with the poached egg half cooked.

The verdict? It was a decent (not exceptional) bowl of noodles. It sure tasted better than the average pan mee one could get at any hawker centre. I would certainly like to try their main branch one day.

Please be advised that the aftermath of your indulgence isn't really pleasant when it comes out. The burning sensation would be more than enough to bring the most macho men to their knees. Over consumption of such a dish might even lead to colon cancer (no scientific research done).

Good day!

Restaurant Rating: 7/10
Pricing: Under RM10 per pax

*Ratings are based on ambience, service, value and food quality for the price you're paying. Opinions expressed are solely based on my personal experience

Map to Restoran Kin Kin (Pandan Indah)

Restoran Kin Kin (opposite Pandan Indah Police Station),
6-G, Jalan Perubatan 4,
off Jalan Pandan Ilmu,
Pandan Indah,
Kuala Lumpur.

Opening hours:
Tuesday-Sunday: 8am until 7pm (Closed on Monday)

grace,  February 12, 2010 at 2:41 AM

good stuff.. i had this once at the jalan tar branch. too damaging to my stomach

JenKin Yat February 12, 2010 at 3:11 AM

the Pandan Indah branch sucks due to their slow service..noodles wise, lacked a lot from the main branch..the chilli isn't really hot at all..

buthen again, i don't really favor Kin Kin..i like Super Kitchen more..the Taipan one is Super Kitchen but I've yet to try that..

the main branch is just opposite of Kin Kin's main branch..it's lovely, i mean, Super Kitchen..

Tummy Rumble February 12, 2010 at 3:40 AM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tummy Rumble February 12, 2010 at 3:44 AM

@JenKin Yat: Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I must say the chili was about the same as the super kitchen in taipan. I dun really like Kin Kin as well.. thanks for the comment :)

Tummy Rumble February 12, 2010 at 3:44 AM

@grace: yea, totally agree with you..

crushedguava February 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I have been to both the original branch and this Pandan Indah branch, and I can say that they are pretty much similar to one another.

There are a few differences however:
-the guy in the original store is very gruff and grumpy and won't entertain any orders from you, and will instead just tell you to sit down. I've known of people who end up arguing with the guy and leave instead of eating there.

-Pandan Indah is air conditioned. Not too sure about the original one as I went to that one 2 years ago; it wasn't then, but I'm not too sure about now.

Either way, I think both shops are awesome, however, I totally disagree with adding any chilli at all to the noodles. The bowl of noodles is good enough with the egg and the minced meat and the noodles itself. The chilli just distracts you from what is actually good.

Tummy Rumble February 15, 2010 at 1:01 AM

@crushedguava: The Pandan Indah is also RM5.30 whereas the Jalan TAR's branch is RM4.50 per bowl. I agree with you that the noodles is quite good on its own, however, I prefer mine with a slight tinge of chilli.

Stefanie February 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM

*Drooling* dried pan mee is one of my favourite foods.

Tummy Rumble February 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM

@Stefanie: good to know that... go for the one at SS19 since you stay in subang jaya :)

Pan Mee lover,  March 14, 2011 at 4:01 AM

the branch in Pandan Indah is running by the boss's son. :) Didn't you find them look alike? >.<
Thumbs thumbs up! <3