Kee Kee Bentong Chicken Rice @ Restaurant Yat Yeh Hing, SS4, Petaling Jaya

>> Apr 25, 2010

Chicken Rice is one of those dish that looks amazingly simple to cook, but is unfortunately almost impossible to be done right. The chicken rice at home somehow never taste as good as some of those exceptionally good ones found outside.

Kee Kee Chicken Rice is widely known as one of the most famous chicken rice in Petaling Jaya. He has been selling chicken rice since 1992, which definitely is a long time.

Chilli and Ginger

Actually, the chili that comes with a plate of chicken rice plays a major role in determining the quality of the dish. The chilli served in Kee Kee, is one of the best I've tasted. The chili wasn't too spicy and had a nice sourness from the lime. The sauce is probably the only reason I keep coming back to this place.

Lime with Sour Plum

Char Siew

The char siew had a nice coating to it. The meat was very soft and flavourful. The accompanying sauce was a little too sweet. I preferred eating it on its on.

Bean Sprouts

The bean sprouts (tao ge/nga choy) was okay. Nothing really great about it.

Bentong Style Steam Chicken

The unique thing about the chicken found at Kee Kee is that the chicken is dipped into icy cold water immediately after steaming it to stop the cooking process, leaving the meat firm and tender. This results in a very smooth and tender bite to the chicken. The only problem I find with this method of cooking is that the chicken is barely cook, meaning that the bone still has blood in it which actually isn't too big of a problem. But when a chicken is barely cooked, the meat will tend to stick to the bone, resulting in difficulty removing the meat from the bone when eating.

Note: Specially request for breast meat if you want to avoid the hassle of removing the meat from the bone.

All in all, Kee Kee serves one of the best chicken rice in town. The bill came up to about RM42 for the 3 of us. I'm addicted to the chili. I will definitely be back for more. Special thanks to a particular someone who footed the bill as she recently received her first pay check.

*Opinions expressed are solely based on my personal experience

Pricing: About RM10 per person.

Map to Kee Kee Bentong Chicken Rice

33, Jalan SS4D/2,
Taman People's Park,
47301 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor Darul Ehsan,
Malaysia.

Contact:
Telephone number: 012 629 4807

Opening hours:
10.30am-2.30pm daily (closed 1st Tuesday of the month)

Read how other people rated it at:

6th Seal
Kampungboycitygal
Kyspeaks

jfook April 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Wow, the steam chicken looks tasty...

Tummy Rumble April 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM

@jfook: yea.. haha.. thanks for dropping by :)

Ching Yi Lee April 26, 2010 at 12:40 AM

TummyRumble!! It's 2.30am here and i'm doing/struggling with an assignment and then I read this chicken rice post! It looks so yummy! Omggg so much torture to my soul !! haha. And I'm not even a chicken rice fan! More of a char kuey teow kind of girl =P Hope you're doing great in uni and evrything else (:

J2Kfm April 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM

That's rather pricey for chicken rice eh? Indeed, the one thing that deters me most from tauge ayam is the undercooked chicken. Commonly found even in Ipoh's famous outlets.

Tummy Rumble April 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

@Ching Yi: hello, nice of you to drop by.. Sorry about the torturing part.. haha.. I have exams coming up man.. The library has become my 2nd home... thats how sad my life is... I don't even have time to update my blog that frequently anymore... anyway, hope you're doing well yourself.. take care!! =)

Tummy Rumble April 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM

@J2Kfm: hahaha.. The undercooked chicken gives it that nice smooth texture.. I guess we can't have the best of both worlds.. Chicken rice can be rather pricey in KL.. My younger bro ate more than a hundred bucks worth of chicken rice with my cousin a couple of months back.. I'm not sure how they did it, but they did it somehow..

fatboybakes April 29, 2010 at 3:55 PM

is this the one facing the LDP? always very crowded hor...

Tummy Rumble April 29, 2010 at 11:00 PM

@fatboybakes: yea, thats the one.. Be prepared to wait for a while unless you're lucky.. haha

J,  May 4, 2010 at 1:44 AM

pictures look slightly bluish.. too bright sun?

Tummy Rumble May 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM

@J: yea.. you're right.. We were sitting outside.. Even at ISO 100, the sun was too bright to get a nice shot..

catalina June 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.