La La Chong Seafood Village @ Ara Damansara, Petaling Jaya

>> Aug 18, 2010

When one hears of La La Chong, one usually think about that seafood place beside Terminal 3, Subang Airport. Alas, there is another La La Chong situated in Ara Damansara if you didn't know about it. This Lala Chong in Ara Damansara, was actually one of the first restaurants that opened in Ara Damansara. I have been there a couple of times since they opened about 3-4 years ago. I personally feel that the standard of the food served there has significantly dropped in the recent years.

The sole purpose of our trip to Lala Chong this time was to let them cook this nice big Coral Trout (Chat Sing Pan) aka 7 Star Grouper. The fish was slightly too big to go into a usual steamer. So down to the dishes.

Note: pictures were taken with my phone hence the quality.

Siong Thong Lala

Lala (a type of clams) steamed with Chinese Rice wine, spring onions and lots of ginger. This dish was mediocre. Nothing really great about it.

Paku with Belacan

We had a vegetable dish for the sake of calling it a complete meal. Nothing really great about this dish either, but we had to have some greens no?

Lemon Chicken

The lemon chicken had to be one of the better dishes that night. Compared to what else we had, this dish was one of the better ones. It had a nice zing to it, and the chicken was crunchy and nice.

Steameed Coral Trout

The Coral Trout was overcooked. They wasted my good fish. Aaaaarrgh!! The sauce was alright but the fish was way overcooked. Such a pity.

Steamed Coral Trout with Ginger Sauce

Cooking a good fish with lots of ginger is actually one of the biggest sins in the culinary world. Our excuse was the fish was too big so we opted for it to be cooked 2 ways in hope that we will not get bored of it. This fish was overcooked as well. The sauce was reasonable though.

Salted Egg Crabs

The crabs were sticking to the shell, had a weird taste, and the sauce had too much 'Pandan' flavouring to it.

All in all, I was pretty disappointed with their cooking. Most dishes were alright unless you're a fussy person like me.

*Opinions expressed are solely based on my personal experience

No Pork

Telephone number: 03 7845 1250

Opening hours:
12pm-10pm daily

Cassie August 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I love lala and crabs!

Tummy Rumble August 18, 2010 at 3:32 PM

@Cassie: I doubt you'll like it at this place though.. haha.. Thanks for dropping by :)

choi yen August 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Last time I had my paku with tuna, taste good!

Tummy Rumble August 18, 2010 at 5:45 PM

@choi yen: the paku is not bad lah.. the crabs were bad..

Baby August 18, 2010 at 11:28 PM

i hate ginger in my fish

Tummy Rumble August 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM

@Baby: some places make it really well.. I think one of the best steamed fish with ginger I had was in Klang.. Haven't been to that place for a while now.. They tend to run out of fish very early..

Sook Yee,  April 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Been there this afternoon for lunch. The lala soup was nice but the crab is out. Not fresh. :(

Tummy Rumble April 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM

@Sook Yee: yea, the crabs aren't good.. probably dead crabs or something.. They use to be real good when they just opened..

Unsatisfied Customer,  June 18, 2012 at 9:31 AM

DON'T GO TO LALA CHONG! This was the most awful rip-off that we've experienced in many years! I went there for a Father's Day celebration yesterday,and the service was horrendously slow, rude & terrible. Waiters kept ignoring us, we had to remind them to bring the food and drinks many times, and in the end we had to refill our own tea, and get our own drinks, glasses, and cutlery from the service areas. The utensils were icky and dirty. We even cleared our own table!

The food was bad too. They got a few dishes in our order wrong, and served it so late, that we had finished our meal and were ready to leave by the time they served us the crabs. Oh, and the food was cold.

All in all, a bad experience, and one that we had to pay through the nose for. I'm not a competitor, just a truly unsatisfied customer. Don't patronize this lousy place!